Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Mary Oliver Poem for Final Spring Term Project

A couple of years ago, I made a piece of eco-nature printed paper. One of my Portland Art Collective friends at an October Menucha retreat had us collect leaves, place them on paper, roll it onto a two- inch piece of  PVC tied tight with string and boil the roll for a couple hours. The colors or dyes in the leaves transfer to the paper. I love the subtle hues and ghost prints of the plants.

During Carol DuBosch's Spring Term calligraphy class, I made a book for my final project with this paper and wrote in Uncial Mary Oliver's poem "Today".  When I put the book together, I had no idea where the dark leaf would show up. To my surprise, it graced the front cover. No planning, it just happened. It's this serendipity in the creative process that excites me.









I plan to make more eco-nature printed paper in August at the Oregon College of Art and Craft called Natural Impressions.

5 comments:

Suzanne Reynolds said...

I love the eco printed paper, and your calligraphy, Paula. What luck that the leaf images ended up in the right spots! Look forward to seeing what you make in your class.

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Thanks, Suzanne. It's good to hear from you and I appreciate your support.

Robin Olsen said...

Beautiful book and the perfect poem to go wih it! How great that the leaf ended up on the cover!

CarolCot said...

This turned out so beautiful Paula! The eco prints are a perfect background for the poem and your wonderful calligraphy.

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Thanks Robin and Carol for your comments. Carol, thank you, for introducing us to the eco prints. This process could be addictive.