Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Remains of the Day Journal with Peerless Watercolors

This week, I made another "Remains of the Day" shabby journal for a graduation gift for a writer. It's fun to work with different fabric scraps and the tie is made with Dupioni silk.
Below is the outside cover
For the inside cover, a pocket was sewn in to hold a Sakura black permanent ink IDenti dual tip pen (my new favorite with fine and extra fine tips), a Niji water-brush and a Peerless watercolor palette. The paper is 93# heavy weight drawing paper that takes wet and dry media. I left the paper signatures blank for the graduate to fill up with her writing, drawing and maybe some color.
The Peerless Transparent Watercolors make a great travel palette. I covered a piece of 140# watercolor paper with decorative paper and tape and put an eyelet to hold the palette together with waxed linen.

The water colors come in concentrated form on papers that can be cut. I taped them to each side of the palette with masking tape, labeled them and painted a swatch below each color.
On one side, I taped in a piece of waxed paper to keep the colors from running into one another when wet. I've used this palette many times for travel and outdoor sketching. The colors are bright and clear
When a color is used up, another Peerless water color paper can be taped on top. The fabric scrap journal lends itself to many different uses. I just love making these journals.

11 comments:

Janine said...

I absolutely love your covers especially the top one! Is that an old fabric...maybe I should read your post. I look at pictures first then go back and read so I will do that now!

lilylovekin said...

What a lovely gift you have made, it is thoughtful and beautiful at the same time.

Gwen said...

This is brilliant! I love the detailed instructions for the watercolor palette! Your ROD journal is beautiful, also, you have a great collection of fabric!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful journal, and that watercolor palette is a great idea, too!

Butterfly Works said...

What a great gift......this has to be this graduate's favorite....
Love your blog...
Hugs and Blessings

Jo Reimer said...

Thanks for the directions on making the palette with the Peerless paints. I have a full set from years ago that I'll use to make one for myself. And maybe this will make a good hostess gift for those times when a bottle of wine just isn't enough.

Tory Brokenshire said...

Paula what a fantastic idea, you are certainly a person that keeps the gift of art moving forward.

Dayna said...

What a fabulous ROD journal! And what a beautiful graduation gift. I've just started my very first ROD journal and I have even more appreciation for the energy that goes into designing and making it.

Queen Bee said...

How beautiful!
Queen Bee Studio

HeartFire said...

Love your ROD journal! I still haven't had time to sign up for Mary Ann's class yet, this looks so much fun! Great idea with the peerless w/c's too...
Delorse

Unknown said...

Grate gift and wonderful journal, like you tips on making the pallet.

EWian