Saturday, December 26, 2009

"Remains of the Day" Shabby Journal Cover

A couple art friends signed up for Mary Ann Moss's "Remains of the Day" shabby journal online class. I wanted to join in the fun and joined the class last week. For our first assignment, we made the journal cover with a paper template, scraps of fabric and lots of machine stitching. The tie wraps around to keep it all together.

My fabric selections include some from France and Japan. I love the French toile. My overseas vacations usually include a trip to a few local fabric stores.

Here is the cover laid out with both front and back.

I made the tie with duopioni silk and sewed on strips of Japanese fabrics that I used to make my sewing machine cover last year. I highly recommend Mary Ann's online classes. She demos with lots of videos, offers PDF files for each lesson, lots of resources and you receive all with a great sense of humor and fun.

9 comments:

Gwen said...

This is beautiful, Paula! I love the fabrics you got in France, as you know. I may sign up for this class later in the year... It looks fabulous!

lilylovekin said...

Your journal looks great. I'll check into the class, I so enjoy the humor of Mary Anns blog I'm sure her class is a delight.

Anonymous said...

I love the fabrics you used in your journal, you are fast! I'm glad you joined in the fun, this is a great class.
Herm

cynthia said...

Thanks for inspiring me to do a journal Paula. I so enjoyed seeing this in person. Beautiful, and I can't wait to see it as it is filled with juicy pages.

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Thanks for all of your comments. I'm now sorting through papers and scraps to make the pages and signatures to sew into the covers. I'll post photos of the pages this coming week. This sure is a fun class. I like seeing what others create from the same instructions- how different and beautiful each journal becomes.

Jo Reimer said...

I like your cover; you did a great job of combining the fabrics and marrying the colors. Now I'm keen to see what you do with pages. Sometimes its good to get on the train a little late so you can see what's coming down the line. I'd have done my first steps on pages a little differently had I known what the last lesson would be like. I'm so glad you joined us on this journey.

magpie said...

thanks for checking out my cover - i love your toile...and what you've done with it.

such sumptuous fabrics. cant wait to see what you fill it with.

Dawn said...

Your cover looks great! I like your use of medallions to highlight the special fabrics.

HeartFire said...

Hi Paula,
What a wonderful cover you've made, great colors. I'll be interested to see your pages too. I've been thinking of taking that particular class, it looks like fun! I always love to see what you're up too, always interesting art projects going!
Delorse