Monday, April 12, 2010

Making Santos- Part 2

Yesterday, we met to finish our Santos. I spent the morning sewing a dress out of the muslin, cheese cloth and lace I'd acrylic stained on Saturday. She's very simple, contemplative, wise.
My intention was to pin tags to her dress with universal desires and crown her head with a flower garland. She seems like an oracle to me. Now, I'm not sure if my original ideas fit her simplicity and sereneness.

This is an example of how I often over think and over do. When are you finished with a piece? How do you reconcile one idea with another? I may have to create another one using my original ideas because she's evolved into different interpretation.
The Santos grouped together along with closer views.



What do you think? How do you determine when your artwork is finished, complete as it is or needs more layers or elements added to it?

14 comments:

Judy Wise said...

these are magnificent. wow. thank you for sharing such a great workshop.

Createology said...

Well done. Your Santos is just as you describe but also beautiful in her simplicity and serenity.

Diva Kreszl said...

I love these...quite special!

stregata said...

These are soooo awesome - just gorgeous! Very contemplative!

Gwen said...

I really love the serene simplicity of your Santo. I like the idea of the tags, it will be interesting to try it with another one.

Jo Reimer said...

She's so beautiful, Paula. She could be complete or she could use more... your choice. Perhaps a few more days or weeks spent on something else will bring the answer to you. It works like that for me. Sometimes I pin or prop work up at the end of a hallway or room where I'll come upon it as I move around the house. Seen from a different perspective helps me know whether or not it's finished. Make another one in the meantime.

lilylovekin said...

Paula, your Santos is lovely I love the simplicity of her. The grouping of all the dolls together is a lovely photo. What a fabulous class.

Herm said...

Your Santo is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the picture of the other Santos.

cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing these photos, Paula. These inspire me to finish my santo and maybe make another one.

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Thanks for all of your comments. Jo, I like your idea of living with her for awhile and then decide how to proceed.

Dayna Collins said...

Ahhhh, just seeing them all together makes me smile. A beautiful pictorial story of their evolution.

Dayle Doroshow said...

Beautiful Santos work Paula- thanks for sharing it. Dayle

jennifer lorton said...

Hi Paula, I was just going through my trades from Artfest, and I came across your sweet little pin, and I wanted to write to you and thank you. I hope your time at Artfest was a wonderful as mine.
The Santos are so beautiful!

Dianne said...

Your Santos is absolutely amazing! great idea to use thrift shop dolls...they all turned out wonderfully.