Friday, July 9, 2010

Dream Catcher Garden Art

For a garden art exchange for our Portland Art Collective picnic, I made a dream catcher. It always fascinates me how a work of art evolves. My DH gave me a box of old lock parts and the shims caught my eye. I originally planned to make a wind chime. On one of our walks, I found a wire circle from an old hub cap and realized that I'd make a dream catcher (12½ inches in diameter).

I used the ball-peen hammer to dimple both sides of the stainless steel shims (3½ x 1½ inches). With a center punch, I indented the plate where I wanted to drill holes.

put on my "power tool hat" and drilled the holes

wired beads to each shim

and wired the shims together.

To make the dream catcher twirl in the wind, I attached a large fishing lure swivel. Voila- a dream catcher.

10 comments:

Jo Reimer said...

This is a beauty, Paula. So creative and so different from most dream catchers.

Robin Olsen said...

What a huge hit this was and so clever Paula! Great photos of it hanging in your window.

Herm said...

Beautiful dream catcher! it must have been a lot of work, looks great in your window.

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Really awesome and unique, Paula! I love the way each little circle is filled with color in the light.

stephanie brockway said...

You win the prize for such a clever re-use, from t hose metals things WOW make more soon!
ox
Steph

Tory Brokenshire said...

Paula I just LOVE it! For now and maybe forever I have it hanging in front of the air conditioner the light comes in the window and hits the jewels its just beautiful. I'm so happy I won it!

Gwen said...

Really beautiful! I love all the colors the light catches, lucky Tory!

Lenall Siebenaler said...

Your dream catcher was one of my favorites! Great job! Lenall

Anonymous said...

I got to hear about this wonderful dreamcatcher as Paula and I walked along a country road. The picture of it was even better than I had imagined on our walk.

Pat said...

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing.