Monday, January 14, 2019

Developing Meaning Book on "Immigration and the Wall"

In September, I took a two-week workshop with Brody Neuenschwander and Amity Parks at La Romita in Umbria Italy. My previous post highlighted my travel journal from this experience. This post shares the book that I created using Brody's process called developing meaning. We wrote three texts of 300 words each on an event that had personal meaning to us. The first text was our personal memory, the second the collective memory of family and friends and the third was a world view of the event. I chose to write about the "Wall" proposed between Mexico and the US. This idea upset me. The event is not going away. Now, our government is shutdown because of this idea. The book documents my feelings and thoughts. The three texts run through the book, each in a different hand.

The cover is made of Bister-dyed strips of Kozo rice paper-

The title page-


 
The wall-
The lettering-

A story inspired by a red piece of brocade-

Word morphing: separate to include-
 Asylum-
 Immigration-

Free association word mapping related to texts-

 An illuminated letter-
 A dream for a kaleidoscope society-

Nature knows no boundaries-


I plan to use this developing meaning process to explore my artwork, to determine a focus and direction to take all wriiten in a similar book format. Stay tuned.

No comments: