Saturday, July 31, 2010

Guemes Island Art Journaling Retreat

Last weekend, we returned to Guemes Island for our quarterly art retreat at the red farmhouse. With inspiration from Penelope (checkout her new blog), I made this journal out of rosin paper (supplied by Michelle). The ends are covered with magazine strips and sewn with a coptic stitch (thanks to Celeste's help). The cover includes a 4x6 postcard of a sketch I did last summer.

The Red Farmhouse is a perfect spot for an art retreat. It sleeps nine comfortably, has a large well, equipped kitchen, one and half baths and a great room where all can work on two large dining tables stretched out end to end.
We relaxed outside under the trees, spay painted, made decorative papers and ate great food prepared by Gwen. Thanks to Catherine for organizing our retreat. Friends, art, sunshine, warmth and laughter- who could ask for anything more.
We took on a challenge to make an Art Journal Zine this fall. Penelope brought several of her zines that she received in a swap from Alma Stoller. Check out Alma's zine tutorial Here. I worked on my zine but all is top secret until our November swap.
The next post will feature my collaborative red journal.

2 comments:

lilylovekin said...

What a delightful get away. It is the best thing in the world to spend time with creative friends. I love your journal and the front cover. Good job.

edina said...

I'm so envious of all your artful adventures - I need to move back!