Sunday, July 29, 2018

Book Created in Suzanne Moore Class at Seattletters

Last week, I attended the Seattletters International Calligraphy Conference in Bellingham WA.  I was very fortunate to take a class with painter, print maker, book and lettering artist- Suzanne Moore. We learned her studio practices and techniques for painting, lettering and book binding with an eye to juxtapose image with text, highlight contrasts in creating our books.

It took me a week to select a quote that held lots of contrast and meaning for me. I chose a portion of Martin Luther King Jr.'s 1964 Nobel Laureate Lecture.

 Cover

 Title Page

Title Page Close up

Page

Center Page

"Injustice Transformed" Center Page Opened

Taking one or two words, we created abstract lettering and later added color. I love the feeling of this page, how the lettering almost becomes an image. It will be fun to explore this process of using contrasts to tell a story through a chosen text. The text in my book is Uncial which was often used to letter Medieval Bibles. I wanted to highlight Reverend King's religious faith and his belief in democracy. 

No comments: