Friday, March 25, 2011

Bead Knitted Bag

When I cleaned out my studio, I found an old project with all the supplies to make it. I always wanted to knit one of these beaded amulet bags. It's okay for a first attempt. I know now what I'd do differently- start with two beads per column vs. one; and tighten up my gauge. My knitting was very loose here. The bag measures about 1½ inches square.

Years ago, Marianne made this little bag for me. When I visited her a couple of weeks ago, she got me started and helped me with instructions to finish the project.

I'd never knitted with Size 0000 double pointed knitting needles. I didn't know that they made such tiny ones. The thread is DMC size 8 Cotton Perlé with size 11 beads strung onto the thread.

Cindy Hulsey makes the patterns and you can check her website at Cactus Co. Beadwork.

5 comments:

lilylovekin said...

The bags are so tiny, the needles remind me of the tiny crochet hooks one uses for crocheting for jewelry-so tiny. I love the smallness of it.

Beads2yarn said...

Ooohhh, I love these. I have wanted to knit a beaded bag for years. these are beautiful

Herm said...

that bag is a beauty! i have been wanting to knit one, saw the instructions somewhere, but then I bought one at a school bazaar and love it!!! how long did it take you to finish it?

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Thanks for your compliments. In the beginning, I had to start over a few times because of dropped stitches. Once I got the pattern down, I worked on it on and off for a couple of weeks. The second one will go much faster.

cynthia said...

OOOh, Paula, these are so pretty, and old fashioned, yet modern looking.Seems like a lot of work, but I bet you are glad to have tried it.