Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Making 2012 Visual Calendar

Here it's already February 1st and I'm posting my 2012 calendar. You can see other visual calendars HERE. I made it bigger this year so it measures 8 x 9½ inches. The format is different, too. I decided to keep the calendar grid open and create an illustrated calendar with my artwork, practices, books read and favorite quotes.
The calendar starts with a table created grid. The left hand side is Sunday through Wednesday and the right side is Thursday through Saturday.

I used to photocopy and collage the covers of the books I read for my calendar. This year, I'm making my own books-read illustrations. Jill Berry's new book, Personal Geographies- explorations in mixed media mapmaking, offers lots of information about maps and ways to create your own. Checkout Jill's blog for arty cartophiles.

Maps fascinate me. I want to know where I'm going and where I've been. A friend shared with me map quotes from the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. These quotes are from her book The Mapping of Love and Death.

I chose the word focus for 2012. Sometimes I feel like I go in too many directions with my artwork or don't concentrate enough to learn one skill well. My hope is that by selecting this word, I'll be able to complete projects and find purpose in my artwork.

4 comments:

Tory Brokenshire said...

Paula I love your plan mapping where you have been, where you are going and a focus on your future. I hope you can post photos as you map your year.

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Thanks, Tory. I decided to draw at least one map per month in my visual calendar journal.

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Had to chuckle when I read that someone else choose FOCUS for their word! Its only March and I've taken classes in encaustics, lettering and, now, sketching! I think I need to tattoo focus on the back of my hand where I'll be reminded everyday! Enjoyed your studio tour!

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Thanks for your comment. It's nice to know there are lots of like minded souls out there.