Monday, January 4, 2010

Quilted Cat Portraits

My friend, Marianne, has two wonderful cats. I wanted to create a quilted cat portrait of them for her birthday. They like to sleep on her bed. The background pieced fabric represents her bedspread.
They also spend a lot of time outdoors in her beautiful garden. The second sheer layer of fabric represents their enjoyment of her garden.
Obsidian thinks she's the Queen, regal and knowing.
Frankie hunts, sleeps and eats. He spends more time outdoors exploring and overseeing the estate.
Here' the composition that I created to feature them both together. Played with their photos in Photo Shop and gray scaled it to get a better idea of the values.
Since Obsidian is sleek and black, she's made of ultra suede. Frankie is furry and thus felted onto Lutradur. I machine stitched their expressions, eyes, whiskers, outlines, attached a quilt binding and sleeve for hanging. This is the second pet portrait I've made. Go Here to see the other one.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

She will go flipping nuts !!!! Lucky her!!!

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Thanks, Julie. I gave it to her right after Christmas and she loved it.

Gwen said...

Really wonderful, Paula!!

Tory Brokenshire said...

I love the story and combination of materials to tell it. What a lovely gift.

lilylovekin said...

What a wonderful thoughtful gift, I' glad she liked it.

Jo Reimer said...

what an interesting way to tell the story of your friends cats, and what a nice friend you are for doing this for her.

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

I appreciate all of your ocmments. Story telling through my artwork may be a new focus for me this year.