Tuesday, August 31, 2010

it's beginning to feel like fall

Today feels like fall- the first rain in two months. The days get shorter, neighborhood children prepare for the first day of school next week and I notice subtle changes in the garden- the colors soften, spider webs spread between plants and leaves start to dry out.

This morning, we sketched at McMenamins Edgefield. The sunflowers were bent over heavy with their fruit. Blackbirds kept coming back to eat more seeds.
Dahlias graced the paths of the herb garden,
Birdhouses added character.
Here's my interpretation of the blue birdhouse in the above photo-
It's hard to see summer go but I do like the sense of new beginning that fall brings.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok that does it I must get back to my true love painting your are captivating !!

lilylovekin said...

I like that photo of the crow and the sunflower. I'm also so glad that fall is in the air, it is my favorite time of year and I' ready to enjoy it.

Herm said...

Love your watercolor of the birdhouse. The fields of sunflowers here in MN are dry and ready for harvesting. Autumn is my favorite season!!!!!!!!

Butterfly Works said...

What a wonderful painting to end the summer.....I love the birdhouse and cone flowers are one of my favorites....

Beautiful......

Dayna Collins said...

Your drawings are beautiful and Edgefield is such a delightful and magical place. Lucky you!

Fickle Cattle said...

I like the first sketch. And I love how you write about fall. I've never actually experienced it, but you make it sound lovely.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

Sue Ellen said...

I love your interpretation of the birdhouse - perhaps even more than the photo of it! You've captured the whimsical essence of it, like it's dancing in the field and the flowers are the audience!

celeste said...

I love your sketches!
And the Edgefield...I love the grounds there!

Sad you won't be at the November retreat...hope to see you soon!