Monday, September 6, 2010

Homesteader's Metalsmithing

For the past month, I've been taking Stephanie Lee's online class called Homesteader's Metalsmithing. She's offering another class starting September 8th. I highly recommend her course- good quality videos and PDF files. We learned how to make soldered bezels, patina them and add resin.

I flooded the key above with solder, stamped the word 'Dream', added patina and a soldered link and beads.

The butterfly is a brass stamped image that I added to a solder-flooded piece of metal, added patina and eyelets. All will be made into jewelry that I'll sell at our Portland Art Collective Art Show December 3rd and 4th at Multnomah Art Center. With fall here and school starting, I feel like getting back to work to create items for our show. I like this homesteader's metalsmithing.

6 comments:

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Your class projects look awesome, Paula! You really have the hang of solder and will have some nice things for the show. Look forward to seeing your jewelry in person.

Unknown said...

Her on line classes must be awesome If you are creating this super work and it is looking like you are having fun at it too!!

Robin Olsen said...

Paula, these are beautiful! And you know me, I love that mix of fiber with the metal. Can't wait to see what you do with this new skill.

Tory Brokenshire said...

Very cool Paula, the key and stamping in solder is such a good idea.You did an awesome job I can't wait to see your work at the art show.

Gwen said...

I really like these! I am sure that the finished pieces will be wonderful!

Jo Reimer said...

These are wonderful, Paula. Your creativiy shines!