Friday, June 8, 2012

Creating Mandalas

Mandalas fascinate me and I like creating them as you can see from a previous post HERE.
A friend told me about Margaret Bremmer's blog the Enthusiastic Artist.  Margaret teaches how to create Zentangles.  She posted What is a Mandala? and a great video on How to Grow a Mandala on her blog.  I drew the mandala below using her technique.  It reminds me of a childhood toy- a plastic, folding puzzle- that I used to like to play with.  I can't remember what it was called.
I used my favorite colored pencils (Farb-Riesen color giants by Lyra of  Germany) to color the mandala.  The whole process of  drawing and coloring mandalas can be a great meditative practice.

Inspiration for mandalas can come from many sources and are often found in nature.  A rose...

A bunch of lettuce...

or a peony...

Here's my finished mandala.  I hope this post encourages you to create mandalas, too.

2 comments:

stephanie brockway said...

Nice, the toy is spyrograph i remember it well!

iHanna said...

It's beautiful, your pink mandala! Will look at the video too.