Monday, July 23, 2012

Pointed Brush Calligraphy with Marilyn Reaves

Marilyn Reaves taught the second workshop that I took at the NW Calligraphy Conference at Reed College.  She teaches classes in lettering, design, drawing and book arts at the University of Oregon.  I wanted to learn how to use a brush to letter so that I could use watercolors and gouache for calligraphy in my artwork.  In class, we worked with acrylic inks and selected a theme for our lettering.  I chose my garden as subject matter.  We played with collage-  lettering on Japanese-style papers and layering with decorative papers and fabrics. I added one of my drawings, too.

The alphabet below I did with watercolors wet on wet on cold press paper.  The letters would be more even on hot press watercolor paper. I like the texture of the letters on cold press.



2 comments:

Gwen said...

your work is beautiful! I am soo impressed! You have certainly learned a lot about calligraphy!

Leigh said...

Thanks for sharing this experience. I really like Marilyn. She is the one who usually teaches Spirit of the Sketch at PCC in the summer. I was wondering why she didn't this year and I guess it is because she was teaching at your conference. You did such lovely work.....