Monday, August 13, 2012

Abstract Painting with Cynthia Herron

Last week, I started a class in abstract landscape painting with Salem artist, Cynthia Herron.  Portland Art Collective members, Dayna Collins and Tory Brokenshire, took this course last Spring and highly recommended it.  I want to be looser in my artwork- both drawing and painting.

I selected a photo from a trip to Sedona, Arizona a few years ago. 

Here's my underground color and under drawing.  I distorted the shapes of the rock formations and clouds.  The yellow under painting represents the hot day.


Then, I blocked in the colors to get the feel of the hot day and the energy of the Vortex in this area.  The values of the blues in the sky are exaggerated from dark to lighter.  The red rocks deflect the heat. The painting is not complete.  The foreground needs more detail and contrast in color.


I was so impressed with the work of fellow students. Thanks everyone for letting me post your paintings. Luanne Kreutzer used a photo from a rafting trip she took on the Colorado River.


Dana Gibbons worked from this photo of a farm.


Chris Vietmeier used some enlarged photos that spoke to her.



Sandy Keating chose a photo from a vacation in Florence, Italy to paint.

All are works in progress. I love how the use exaggeration and distortion of the shapes and forms creates different feelings in each painting.  I can't wait to see what we create next week with abstraction through color.

No comments: